2016 Special Assessment
2016 Special Assessment Information Sheet
On Monday, March 21, 2016 Council passed Resolution Nos. 9-2016(F) and 10-2016(F) which begin the process of renewing special assessments for the purposes of paying a portion of the cost of street lighting and the forestry program as well as the cost of leaf pick-up. Review the following information for more on the special assessment:
- Copies of the resolutions can be obtained in the by calling the City Manager at 216-291-3737.
- The assessments are not new. Both assessments have been in existence for over 35 years.
- The current assessment was passed in 2013 for collection in 2014, 2015 and 2016. The new assessment just passed for 2016 is for collection in 2017 and 2018.
- The rate is $0.92 per front foot for street lighting and $1.08 per front foot for trees equals $2 per front foot total. This is the same amount as the current assessment.
- The assessment is billed on a property owner's real estate tax bill; there is no separate bill.
- The assessment is on every parcel of property located on a dedicated street in Cleveland Heights. Those parcels traditionally exempt from real estate tax such as churches, schools and other non-profit organizations are not exempt from special assessments. The assessment is levied whether or not a tree or street light is located directly on a property owner's tree lawn.
- A certified letter will be mailed in May to each property owner whose assessment exceeds $250 over the next two year assessment period. This is a requirement of state law. All property owners who do not return the notification of receipt of their certified letter will be published in the Sun Press.
- Any property owner may file an objection with the Clerk of Council. The objection must be in writing and must be submitted to the Clerk of Council. The final date of objection is July 12, 2016. Property owners wishing to file an objection earlier may do so.
- Objections may be presented to the Assessment Equalization Board which will be appointed by Council. Those property owners filing written objections will be notified of the date and time of the meeting by certified mail. This will occur in August. (AEB consists of 3 non-Cleveland Heights' residents.)
Questions regarding the amount of the assessment for a particular piece of property or any general comments regarding the assessment process should be directed to the finance department at 216-291-3900, 3932, 3919, 3737 or 3927. Persons requesting information regarding the forestry program and the use of the tree assessment including the planting or removal of trees should be directed to the service dispatch office at 216-691-7300.