The Department of Planning and Development is charged with the preservation and improvement of the city’s residential neighborhoods, commercial districts and public areas. The staff is focused on providing information, assistance and advice to the City Manager, City Council, citizens and business persons in all areas related to architectural and urban design, planning and zoning, economic and community development and historic preservation.
Proposal to Amend the Zoning Code
Per the request and direction of Council, staff prepared proposed Zoning Text Amendments to Part Eleven – Zoning Code of the Codified Ordinances of Cleveland Heights Regarding Private Parking Garages and Other Ancillary Changes. Staff further prepared a memorandum to Council that contained a more detailed explanation of the consistency with the Comprehensive Plan, background, the proposed changes, and the process. This was all presented to Committee of the Whole on June 7, 2021 and Council referred the matter to the Planning Commission that same night.
Zoning Code Amendment Process (see Chapter 1119 of the Zoning Code)
Introduction of amending ordinance to Council (Section 1119.02) – Completed 6/7
- Referral to Planning Commission for consideration and recommendation. The Commission shall be allowed a reasonable time, not less than thirty (30) days, nor more than sixty (60) days for its consideration and recommendations (Section 1119.03) – Completed on June 7, 2021
- Planning Commission consideration and recommendation at regularly-scheduled meeting or special meeting or workshop – all open to the public to watch (Section 1119.04) – Introduced on June 29, 2021; second meeting date to be determined
- Public hearing by Council, including appropriate noticing (Section 1119.05)
- Action by Council.After the public hearing Council shall either adopt or deny the recommendation of the Planning Commission (Section 1119.06)
- If Council grants its final approval to the amendment, the amendment becomes effective 30 days later.
- Ordinance 070-2021 (PDF)
- June 2, 2021 Cover Memorandum to City Manager Requesting Legislation (PDF)
- June 2, 2021 Cover Memorandum to Council with detailed description (PDF)
- Exhibit A: Proposed Zoning Text Amendments (PDF)
- Introductory presentation at Committee of the Whole (PDF) - April 26, 2021
- Presentation at Committee of the Whole (PDF) - June 7, 2021
- Presentation at Planning Commission (PDF) - June 29, 2021
Historic Preservation Design Guidelines Project
This project was conducted to support the City of Cleveland Heights, the Architectural Board of Review and the Landmark Commission in their efforts to: preserve and protect buildings, sites, structures and objects which reflect the City’s history; stabilize and improve property values; enhance the character, diversity and interest of the City; foster civic pride; promote preservation; and, safeguard the property rights of the owners of Landmarks and property located in a Landmark District.
- Historic Preservation Guidelines Design Guidelines Revised Draft (PDF) - June 30, 2021
Wed Aug. 4
Wed Aug. 11
Tue Aug. 17
Wed Aug. 18
Wed Sep. 8